Marilyn Main, MSHSA, MSN, RN, CNOR
Clinical Consultant, Surgical Services Accreditation Readiness Specialist
Marilyn Main has worked in Perioperative Services for over 24 years, in multiple roles including Director and as a Vice President of Surgical Services for most of her career. Marilyn currently holds nationally recognized certifications such as certified nurse in the OR (CNOR) with a current BLS and multistate RN license. She led multiple areas in Perioperative services at a Level I Trauma university hospital center for Adults and Pediatrics serving a diverse population for multi specialties inclusive of Ortho/Neurosurgery, Cardiac Surgery, as well as TAVR/Hybrid ORs, and Robotics. Her background also includes direct accountability for ASC, PACU, SPD, Endoscopy, Anesthesia, PAT, Pain Management, Women’s Services, Cath Lab and Interventional Radiology. She successfully developed and implemented a business plans for construction of a new surgery center, and subsequent hospital based operating room’s needs.
Among her highlighted accomplishments include:
- Improved the first case on-time starts from 78%-90%.
- Developed the TAVR program which included the design and construction of a hybrid room; cardiac surgery and cardiology team collaboration and education of workflows, documentation, supplies, and billing. As a result of this project the weekly surgical case volume increased.
- Reduced inpatient Perioperative RN turnover from 18%-11% resulting in adding $440,000 to the bottom line (cost of training 22 staff/filling vacancies with OT and prn staff).
- Increased “highly engaged” index, from 50% to 78%, of surgeons during an engagement survey.
- Reduced surgical inventory by 10% realizing over $350,000 during EMR supply conversion.
Marilyn’s consulting experience has taken her to tender her surgical service process improvement expertise from small community hospitals to large health systems. She has a strong background in Inventory management, Six Sigma, Studer, VBP, and Highly reliable Surgical Teams, Regulatory assessment, Physician Relationships, and has Architectural expertise has facilitate her to implement in all of her engagements a successful Perioperative Rapid Corrective Action Approach. She has been described as a hands-on leader transforming and creating cross-functional teams to achieve the highest quality patient care delivery. Marilyn has also been acknowledged by accrediting agencies such as The Joint Commission for “Best Practice of Electrical Safety in Surgery.”
Our business partnership has been strengthened by the successful projects we have completed.